In between the weekends of
Kazbegi and Dubai, everything was pretty much the same at school and we went to
Tbilisi for a couple of weekends. I developed a stronger love for the city
after realizing how much fun it is to go out at night. It’s not quite Sevilla,
but it’s pretty close. At 5 in the morning the city is still very lively and
the clubs are all packed on weekends.
What makes going out in
Tbilisi so special is how friendly everybody is. The Georgian hospitality
extends beyond visiting somebody’s house or asking for the correct marshrutka.
In bars or clubs, we make friends every time we go out and people buy me drinks
almost every night. Part of this is because they don’t see foreigners extremely
often but more because of the culture’s emphasis on hospitality. This makes for
a really fun atmosphere and as the night goes on we have our new friends taking
us from place to place and often introducing us to their friends. One night we
even met a Georgian guy who’s 17 and going to play water polo at UCLA next year
just because we happened to run into him walking out of a club and he told us
it wasn’t good. This is what we did for
a couple weekends and it was really fun.
In Surami, things were pretty
normal and I got more accustomed to the village life. I learned how troubled
the school system is here and that attendance is often a problem. My host
brother often misses school to stay home and play computer games and that’s
with my host mother being a teacher. My co-teacher said that in her 10th
grade class there are about 30 kids and every time I have taught the class only
about 10 are present. They key problem is that they don’t have the same
incentives here that we have in America. I’m told that even the students that
don’t do anything can still attend university, and it seems like many of them
don’t go to university because they will end up staying in the village even if
they did get a college education.
There is also an unfortunate
macho culture here in which the boys becoming too cool for studying as they hit
around grade 8 or 9. Many of the boys in the older grades can’t count to 20
while many girls are close to fluent. I think that this is one of the benefits
of starting to teach the children at a younger age because students will have
much more English experience by the time they hit this stage in their life. If
a student is pretty good at English by the time they get to the eighth grade,
they will probably be more likely to pay attention in class since they will
have already had seven years of English instruction before entering the teenage
years. It is also easier for students to pick up languages at an early age. So
even though it seems like the students in the first couple grades are retaining
nothing, I still think the new initiative to begin in the 1st grade
instead of 5th is a good idea.
I’m really missing the food
and being able to exercise easily back home but besides that everything is
awesome. On the weekends I’ve been eating McDonalds and Texas Chicken because I
really need a break from the constant bread and potatoes I’m served in the host
family. Yes, I am losing weight, but being hungry most of the day is not fun
and this is definitely what I miss most about home. If I lived in Tbilisi and
could eat normal food and play basketball everyday I don’t think I’d want to
leave this country. Next up comes Dubai.
No comments:
Post a Comment